At Flow, you’re part of a thriving, collaborative work environment—one where we use our complementary skills and areas of expertise to design smart solutions to tough challenges. Match that with competitive salary and benefits packages, mentoring programs and plenty of professional development opportunities, and there’s no better place to work. If we are actively hiring for a specific position, it will be listed below.
Senior Electrical Engineer
Flow Engineering is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our firm’s growing team, based in downtown Vancouver.
Flow Engineering has been providing smart, sustainable and proven mechanical and electrical engineering solutions throughout western Canada for over 10 years. Our diverse management team fosters an environment of support, growth and inclusiveness. Our open-door policy transforms our workplace into a creative and collaborative space promoting the lateral thinking solutions that we are known for. The Flow team is always working on a diverse range of projects that include multi-unit residential developments, mixed-use residential/commercial, fire halls, high-end retail, tenant improvements, hotels and amenity facilities.
Our expectations for the role of Senior Electrical Engineer are as follows:
- Assists with completion of surveys only if/as required to assist more junior team members as a result of specific workload or scheduling requirements.
- Expectation is quality of surveys will exceed that of Engineer/Associate/Project Manager.
Drafting and Design
- Designs high-complex systems for projects such as acute care hospital/healthcare, process facility, large central plants or new developments.
- Edits and develops standards for specific projects and completes construction documents with sufficient detail to ensure success of project.
- Draws on extensive experience to proactively foresee and address potential challenges in execution of project. Design is fully optimized including complete consideration of cost-benefit and sustainability.
Reports, Assessments, and Troubleshooting
- Oversees the preparation of required technical project documentation and appropriately delegates tasks to internal team as required for highly complex projects.
- Reviews documentation prepared by others before issuance.
- Collects information with assistance of junior team member and completes full calculations and analysis with the support of a Partner for high-complexity projects. Able to troubleshoot highly complex system issues/challenges.
- Completes technical peer reviews (internal or external).
- Communicates clearly and effectively with internal team and project manager.
- Presents numerical data effectively and can read and interpret complex data.
- Able to write complete and concise reports such as systems assessments and energy studies.
- Extensive understanding of electrical distribution system including 25kV system, lighting system, fire alarm system, communication and security systems.
- Extensive understanding of: applicable codes such as BCBC, VBBL NBCC, ASHRAE 62,90.1, NFPA and CSA; different electrical systems and ability to specify (e.g. HV unit substation, switchboard, generator, UPS, lighting and control system, fire alarm system, communication and security systems); benefits and drawbacks of different electrical systems.
- Able to size cable, fault level and load calculation, fire alarm system interfacing with other systems and other associated equipment/components for complex projects.
- Reviews the designs from Senior Engineers and mentors Engineers and Designers.
- Fluent in AutoCAD and/or Revit and lighting design software.
- Effectively manages and mentors a team of at least two other members.
- Assesses team members’ abilities and experience for tasks allocations.
- Manages multiple projects and effectively uses available human resources to meet projects’ schedules.
- Focuses on mentorship at a technical level.
- Manages teams’ time to successfully complete technical task of multiple projects.
Revenue and Project Finances
- No requirement to bring in new projects.
- Able to assess when tasks being requested by client fall outside of scope from approved proposal.
- Works with supervisors to approach and secure additional fees.
- Able to work within available projects hours/budget to successfully complete task.
Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree, C.Tech. or A.Sc.T. in engineering or related field.
- P.Eng. registration if applicable.
- Passive House/LEED beneficial.
- Approximately 8 or more years of directly related experience.
Qualified and interested? Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.